The conference social programme will include the following events:
- Welcoming reception (Tue, 22 Sep. 2020), which will be held in the historical Tyszkiewicz-Potocki Palace situated within the Main Campus of the University of Warsaw. The conference participants will also have an opportunity to visit the Museum of the University of Warsaw located in the Palace building
- Conference dinner (Wed, 23 Sep. 2020) held in the Kamienica Theatre
- Warsaw city walk (Thu, 24 Sep. 2020)
- Visit to the Polish National Museum (Fri, 25 Sep. 2020)
The Tyszkiewicz-Potocki Palace
Situated on Krakowskie Przedmiescie Street, next to the Visitationist Church, the Tyszkiewicz-Potocki Palace is regarded as one of the most beautiful neoclassical buildings in Warsaw.
The construction of the palace started in 1785. The Tyszkiewicz residence was built along the street, unlike most Warsaw palaces, off the street and deeper within the estate. The palace has two equally fascinating facades. The first, longer one (thirteen bays) is more monumental, with the main entrance facing the West, and is characterized by a balcony with four Atlantes crafted by the royal sculptor Andrzej Le Brun and his assistant Giacomo Contierini. The second (north side) facade distinguishes itself with sophisticated architectural detail and noble proportions.
Some of the most interesting interiors of the Palace include the vestibule with its all’antica decorations as well as elegant apartments on the first floor looking over the Krakowskie Przedmiescie Street. The Ball Room with its reliefs depicting the Judgment of Paris and the Judgment of Zeus as well as the Dining Hall with its beautiful fireplace decorated with a relief of Sleeping Ariadne deserve special attention.
Prior to World War II the palace also housed the Polish Academy of Literature and a collection of antique prints belonging the Polish National Library. The building survived the initial years of the war unscathed, however in 1944 it was burned down. The reconstruction of this historic building was carried out between 1948 and 1956. After restoration the palace became part of the campus of the University of Warsaw. Currently the building houses, apart from the Museum of the University of Warsaw, the Institute of Musicology, the Center for Polish Language and Culture for Foreigners “Polonicum” and the Antiquity of Southeastern Europe Research Center. For more information please visit the website of the Museum of the University of Warsaw.
For more information on what to see in Warsaw you can visit the Official Tourist Website of Warsaw.